Wednesday 4 September 2013

White Wedding Wednesdays...Introducing Megan and Jason!

In the Spring I received a really thoughtful email from Megan....she is a sculputure major and York university grad who had attended a contemporary craft talk at OCAD some years ago where she was introduced to my work.  I was beyond flattered that she remember me so many years later, and chose my work to celebrate her special day.  I was honoured to be a small part in such a meaningful occassion, and created two white gold wedding bands with a millgrain edging and a smoky topaz stone flush set on the interiors of the bands.

I was pretty excited to get their interview questions back, and was very impressed to learn that they have been together since they were in grade 9!  Thanks Megan and Jason!




Where did you both meet?

He said: High school geography class
She said:
Grade nine geography class.

At what point in the relationship did you know that you wanted to get married to each other?

He said:
When did I “know?” Does one ever “know?” I still don’t “know” – even as a married man, but I think, I hope, I believe in our marriage with my mind, hands, heart, and soul. (Not “knowing” is, I think, what keeps us day by day working at our love.)


She said:
I suppose I knew after a few years into our relationship, when I could get a good sense of his character and our love for each other, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life in partnership with him. I knew I wanted to get married a little over a year ago, when I proposed to him.

How did you imagine your wedding day to be as a child or teenager?

He said:
A day of days – with love, joy, and rapturous tears (and, obviously with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as entertainment).

She said:
An intimate gathering with family and friends.

What is the trait that you admire most about the other person?

He said:
Her work ethic, passion, care for others… (wait did you mean “one”?)

She said: His compassion.

What is the quirkiest trait that you've grown to love about the other person?

He said: Her obsessive cleanliness.

She said: His obsessive tidiness.

What do you like to do on weekends, as a couple?

He said: Go to the movies, to the farmer’s market, the art gallery… and, above all, eat!

She said: Explore new areas of the city (Toronto) on foot, experiment with food recipes, and snuggle in bed.

What was your most memorable date or trip together:

He said: We travelled to the East Coast (all the way to the Rock: Newfoundland) in what was an awe-some road-trip full of beautiful sights, adventure, and memorable times with good friends.

She said: Our first weekend away together at a cottage in the Kawarthas, when we were teenagers.

What was the most memorable/surprising thing about your wedding day?

He said: My new wife’s composure and self-collectedness.

She said: I was surprised by how nervous he was – he is usually the composed one.

Also, our live band (The Elwins) was ridiculously good and we all had a blast dancing until 3am!

What does your new jewellery mean to you?

He said: It’s a symbol of our mutual love, care, and deepened responsibility for each other. We included a (philosopher’s?) stone inlaid in the inside of the ring to represent the rock, the foundation, that we’ve laid as a couple that shall serve to remind us of our affection and commitment.

She said: It is a symbol of the vows we made to each other not only on our wedding day but years ago as a young couple learning to love and grow in relationship.

It was important to us that the bands were handmade, a process that reflects the time-honoured craft tradition of jewellery making and working with people in the creation of art, and also the slow, steady, and beautiful journey of loving another individual.

What is your biggest fantasy/dream/hope as a couple?

He said: To raise a beautiful, intelligent, sharp, committed, passionate, discerning, sensitive, caring and spirited family: the work of our lives!

She said: To continue to support, challenge, and teach each other, strengthening our bond as a couple and hopefully, someday, as parents.














If you have a piece that you purchased from me to celebrate a union, marriage or anniversary I'd love to hear from you...contact me via facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/Touchthedutch







 

 




0 comments:

Post a Comment