The warmer weather makes me want to spend as little time as possible indoors, and a switch in diet usually happens around this time as well. More charcoal grilled veggies, fresh salads and grilled Rowe farms sausage tend to make an appearance as the weather improves, and the cooking transitions outside. Here is a great, super healthy salad from Whole Living magazine, it's great with the grilled squash. My addition is a bit of goat cheese broken on top for additional depth. YUM!
Photo: Bryan Gardner
- 1/2 head broccoli florets
- 1 Delicata squash, sliced and seeded
- 1 cup mixed tender greens
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Tahini Sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Steam broccoli florets until bright green and tender, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside. Steam squash until bright yellow and tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss greens, cabbage, and red onion. Top with steamed vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with tahini sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Use this dressing for Steamed Broccoli and Squash with Tahini Sauce (or any greens). It is also delicious simply drizzled over cooked salmon, tofu, or chicken breast.
Tahini Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Coarse salt
- In a food processor, puree tahini, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, and 3/4 cup water until smooth. Season with salt.
Store sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.