Wednesday 16 March 2011

Spoons!

The beginning of a series of work that explore themes of abandonment, value and memory.  I re purposed and transformed a collection of spoons in an effort to experiment with subtle changes that affect our impression about whether an object is collectible, disposable, temporary, or lasting.

I sourced many of these spoons from rummage sales, thrift shops and yard sales.  No longer wanted, or valuable to their former owners, I would come across bags and bags of cutlery in these places.

Wanting to do something with the spoon form, which is an appealing shape to me, and likely the first piece of cutlery most of us have ever used, I re purposed many of them into absinthe spoons, honey dippers, and sugar sifters.  I gold plated many of them, combined plastic and metal components and pierced designs from the bowls of the spoons.  Check out Design Sponge and the post here for more images.  I also make custom ones and one of a kind spoons which you can find here on my etsy page: 

http://www.etsy.com/listing/41615583/pierced-mint-julep-spoon

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2010/02/anneke-van-bommel.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment