Wednesday 3 July 2013

Step into my closet.....



Okay, I'll admit it...I have a serious fashion addiction.  Or, more accurately, a serious clothing addiction.
 
Growing up, in rural Nova Scotia, I remember carrying stacks of fashion magazines around with me, and dragging them onto the school bus with me in the morning.  I lusted after the white LA Gear high top sneakers (with black and fuchsia webbing!), and the solid hot pink, tight leather creeper high tops. I remember wearing the pink ones obsessively, often paired with a flared, short pale chambray or acid washed skirt and socks.  Needless to say, I was endlessly mocked.  Most often when I chose mismatched neon socks, decided to cut off all of my bangs (big mistake), or grew them extra long, and sculpted them to mimic some sort of David Bowie or Madonna waterfall mash up. 

The fact that L.A fashion trends found their way into the smallest pockets of the world, (opposite coast, different coastal culture) is pretty astounding and pervasive in pre-internet media and pop culture.  I mean I NEEDED those sneakers!  Paula Abdul had them!

I love high end designer fashion, and am curious about conceptual runway work, but don't have the pocket book or interest in buying such pieces.  They are great sources of inspiration though, and really it's all about self expression, representation, and experimentation.....its really about having fun and not taking yourself too seriously.  Living in Toronto, there are endless vintage shops to explore for great pieces, and many thrift shops to uncover great finds....Ive been lucky over the years, I've found a fantastic brown leather Coach bag, Cropped vintage Chanel blazer and a fantastic Ben Sherman zebra print coat.  Its all in the patient beach combing of these shops.

These days, one of my favourite fashion inspiration websites has got to be Closet visit.


Curated by the uber talented photographer, and visual artist, LA based Jeana Sohn, it takes a peek into some super inspired closets.  Satisfying your secret voyeur, Jeana takes you on a visual adventure through the boudoirs of the creative women of Los Angeles.  She has a sharp eye and curates each post in the same format, weaving a tremendous visual tale.

From her blog, I know that shes been very busy, (newborn baby!) and the blog has been a bit quiet for the past year or so.  Checking in this week I noticed that shes back, and I wanted to share one of my favourite closet visits with you.

Cathy Cooper is a stylist and artist, and describes her style as Baroque hobo witch (amazing!).  I admire her spirit and tenacity in her fashion sleuthing, and the fact that she doesn't shop as the same stores as everyone else featured on the blog. 
She is my new patron fashion saint, and we clearly share a kinship in sock choices.  Enjoy!
 
Her complete closet visit is here: http://www.closetvisit.com/

Cathy
 
 
 

























0 comments:

Post a Comment